<body>
by This is me | 23.3.09

My thoughts after YX09:

The days after a major event are usually the most stressful for me, with many people asking for pictures for various publications. But this year was worse. Not only do I have more photos to sieve through, most of them were irrelevant, and I often have to apologize to the reporters for not having "that shot". This really calls for a re-think on what have gone wrong.

Focus
This time round, SYD shooters as a whole lacks a sense of what to shoot. True enough, we need those cool shots to impress during slideshows, but equally (if not more) importantly, we need reportage shots for the papers! Just to give everyone an idea of what were the more popular demands:
  • YOG shots: YOG center+newbies reporting/interviewing speakers (all in one pic)
  • Polo club shots: Horse+newbies reporting+speaker (all in one)
  • Newbies at work
  • Indoor games: Pictures that show teamwork
  • Wanhui performance: the girl that did wushu, the shanghai-tan performance and many others
  • Prize giving: Best male and female campers
  • Others: Photos of twins. (apparently there were a few around)
All of which require more than 1 shot, as I have to submit for different papers. Obviously I had a hard time finding suitable pictures... It shows that we need to communicate more with the reporters. The pictures I see often lacks depth and meaning.

Responsibility
A 3 day event can be tiring, but this is what SYD is all about. We take pride in our work, and don't give up just because we are tired. Although there are much more photogs on site, I'm sure Huiching has made clear when is your turn to shoot, and everyone should stick to it. Seeing other members shooting doesn't mean you can slack off.

Wanhui photos are mediocre at best. Underexposure and white balance issues aside, we have acts that were pretty much uncovered. This is unacceptable.

Skills
I don't deny that shooting in the auditorium can be very challenging. I will be conducting lessons on how to survive in the audi, probably during Peixun Ying in June.

From the next event onwards, we will have pre-shoot briefings to ensure everyone is clear of their responsibilities, and know what to shoot. More lessons to improve thinking and shooting skills will also be required. I will also try to do a debrief on one of these days, should my schedule permits. If we continue to deliver this kind of standard, it won't be long before the reporters have to send in professional photogs to take over our job.




Upcoming Activities
Outings; Lessons; Events

  • Qiangmai Finals 2010: 270310




  • 摄影队, established in April 1987, is a support group under 联合早报学生通讯员俱乐部. The group was created to supplement photos for articles written by the club for 联合早报/爆米花, 逗号 and 大拇指 publications, as well as its monthly internal circulation 会讯.

    Tagboard

    Links

    YunXuan. Ryan. Marian. KaiWen. Darwis. Haze. John. ShuEe. XinYao. JunZhan. SiewKiang. LiJi. SiHui. Joscelin. Wangwei. Edna. Xinting.

    Archives

    March 2005. September 2007. March 2008. April 2008. May 2008. June 2008. July 2008. August 2008. September 2008. October 2008. November 2008. December 2008. January 2009. February 2009. March 2009. April 2009. May 2009. June 2009. August 2009. September 2009. November 2009. December 2009. January 2010. February 2010. March 2010. April 2010. June 2010. July 2010. September 2010. December 2010.